Friday, April 1, 2011

Have You Heard?

The Sounds dropped their new album "Something To Die For" yesterday. Honestly, I don't LOVE it. I definitely don't hate it, but I'm not crazy about it. They definitely have taken on a new sound, something a lot of their older fans aren't happy about. It reminds me of when the Yeah Yeah Yeahs came out with It's Blitz! It shocked a lot of people. And a lot of people said they were sell outs because they went for a more electro/pop sound. At first I wasn't keen on their new sound, but it totally grew on me and now I love it. I think that's what will happen with this album.

I really love these tracks. "Yeah Yeah Yeah" is just super catchy and awesome. I feel like a badass listening to it and singing along with Maja. "The No No Song" still has a lot of The Sounds original sound to it, which I love. It's a great breakup song as well. So if you're a girl and you want a kick ass song to sing to a douchey guy, listen to it.








***

New Death Cab single!!! After what seemed like an eternity, Death Cab is finally going to release a new album!! I posted some live tracks a while back, but here is the first official single from the album.




I absolutely love it. I feel like I've been waiting for this song my whole life. It seems like Ben was looking into my soul when he wrote the beautiful lyrics. They are so moving and so touching. It's just a beautiful song all around. I am even more excited for the album now, which I didn't think was possible.

"When there's a burning in your heart
An endless yearning in your heart
Build it bigger than the sun
Let it grow
Let it grow
When there's a burning in your heart
Don't be alarmed"


***

Telekinesis-- 12 Desperate Straight Lines

Telekinesis is another band that has the surfer/reverb/summer vibe to them. But they have a little more spunk and pop to them than other bands I've heard. I really like them a lot. 12 Desperate Straight Lines is a great listen. If you have a long drive in the sun, put this album on and it will be the perfect soundtrack.

These are my favorite songs from the album:






***

Now the main event in my current musical excitement: Broken Bells' new EP Meyrin Fields. It is the perfect addition to their first album. I'm glad that they didn't put these on the first album, though. Mercer and Danger Mouse said they had pretty much all these tracks finished at the same time as the others on their first album, but they felt that they didn't mesh well with the rest. I can definitely see what they were saying.




The EP opens with "Heartless Empire". This track really reminds me of old Shins tracks like "Sleeping Sickness", "Phantom Limb" and "Split Needles". It's mellow yet upbeat. I feel like I'm surfing in space when I listen to it haha. That's pretty much the only way I can describe it.




"An Easy Life" definitely has an easy going vibe about it. It's definitely the most up beat song on the EP. Undeniably catchy. It also has the psychedelic/space vibe to it.

"The question is simple: Why not be smiling?" is my favorite line.




"Windows" is possibly my favorite track from the EP. They're all so good, though. It's hard to choose. I love the funky/haunting melody in this song. It's like haunted house meets The Shins. It's got a great sound.




The title track "Meyrin Fields" takes on a much more ominous tone than the other tracks. It is a pretty dark track, at least that's what I feel. Really chilling in an awesome way.

James and Danger Mouse, you are my heroes. Please keep more amazing music!!!


2 comments:

  1. Some great tracks, Skylar. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for the new death cab album. They are magnificent!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete