Thursday, April 28, 2011

Zoom Zoom

In honor of my faja's birthday, I am doing a post on some of my favorite classic cars.

Now, obviously there are MYRIADS of gorgeous cars out there, but I've managed to narrow my list down to a handful of my absolute favorites. You'll tell as you go through my list that I definitely have a type.

And pretty much all the cars I love and would kill to own are from the 50's. That is hands down my favorite era for cars and definitely one of my favorites for fashion.

You will see why in a second...

The '57 Chevy Bel Air will always be close to my heart because it's like the first real vintage car that I remember noticing and thinking, "Wow, that is really cool." I still remember the little Hot Wheels '57 Chevy I had (Yes, I had Hot Wheels. I was a huge Tom Boy....yet also very girlie...) It was definitely my most loved Hot Wheel.

In the age of the rocket, the '57 Chevy tastefully interpreted the futuristic, spacey style of the 50's. The fins on the back are bold, but not too much. It's definitely a big car, but it still has that long, elegant flow to it.

The '56 Chevy was also pretty awesome. It's actually slightly more awesome than the '57 just because of one feature: the gas pump is in the left tail light! How cool is that?! I think it's pretty nifty. The '57 has the awesome fins and feels a lot more retro, but the '56 is much more refined and classy, which I really like.

You'll see in these next pictures that pretty much all the car companies were on the same page in 56-57.

'57 Cadillac Coupe Deville

See the resemblance to the Chevy? Very similar silhouettes. I really love the headlights and spacey/rocket-inspired chrome details on the grill.

And yes, that is Elvis in the back seat.

Crown Victoria Skyliner

Ford's '57 Crown Vic Skyliner was also pretty sweet. I really love the chrome strip on the side and how it wraps around the headlights. Very retro. It doesn't have as much crazy detail as the Cadi and no huge fins like the Chevy, but it's definitely still an eye catcher.


'56 Jaguar XK140

.....Sorry, give me a sec. Angels have just descended upon me and are singing sweet heavenly melodies. OH my lord. This Jag seriously gives me heart palpitations. It is hands down one of the most beautiful cars in the galaxy.

I has such a regal, majestic aura to it. I know it's just a car, but it seriously looks dignified and classy! But at the same time, it also looks like it could smoke any other car who tried to rival it. The lines on it are SO sexy. Everything about it is sexy. Gorgeous, gorgeous automobile.


'52 Jaguar C Type

You can definitely see the resemblance in the lines of the '52 Jag C Type and the '56 XK140. Both have those classic, swooping Jag lines. But this '52 C Type is all business. And by business, I mean racing. This car came out of the car womb born to race. Ah I would KILL just to drive on lap in that car. It's racy without looking overtly racy, which is really hard to achieve.

And look! It's only a measly $1,200,000! Pocket change for me!


'57 Jaguar XKSS

Definitely one of the sexiest cars of the 50's. This Jag is BAD. ASS. This car is actually intimidating. It has such a fierce presence. I love it. The whole car is so fluid. It almost looks like it's melting or like a sheet blowing in the wind. Absolutely stunning.


'62 Jaguar

I saw this car drive by me on the street a few weeks ago and I almost crashed my bike because I was staring at it so long and my brain was just spinning in my head. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of cars from the 60's, but this is early 60's so it's still got a little bit of the 50's badassery going on. It has the total feel of a hot rod/race car, but also that of a modest little coup. It's amazing! It's like business and pleasure in one awesome car. Bravo, Jag. Bravo.


Shelby Cobra

One of the baddest, sexiest race cars for sure. That is just my opinion. Many will disagree with me. But there is something priceless and unique about the cobra that no other car has. And have you ever HEARD a Shelby Cobra roaring down the street? That is a glorious sound.


'57 T-bird

Ah what a beaut!! Truly an epic classic. The '57 T-bird is simple and sweet. I love the long lines and the small fins on the back. And of course the porthole window. That's just the cherry one top. Muah!


'53 Corvette

I remember when I first saw the '53 Corvette I thought, "That's not a Corvette..." Really, it's not a "Corvette" or how we think of Corvettes today. But the first Corvette was not the sporty race car that we know today. They were more the country club, American dream car. I love the picture on the top because it really epitomizes what the '53 Corvette was. Like the woman standing next to it, it is elegant, polished and refined. A truly beautiful classic.



'56 Corvette

'56 is really when the Corvette started to look like the racy sports car that we know today. It is so simple and elegant. The lines are graceful and flow so beautifully. It is really not a flashy sports car at all, which is why I love it. It's an understated beauty.


'65 Mustang

Of course I had to mention the '65 Mustang. It's really the gem of American made classic cars. Like the '56 Corvette, it has a simple elegance about it. It has a strength and power to it that is so graceful. You really don't see that in many other cars from the 60's, in my opinion.


'53 Porsche

The '53 Porsche is like the baby Porsche, thus making it absolutely freaking adorable. I mean, honestly! Look at it! Modern Porsches are all sexy and racy and flashy. but the '53 is just like, "Hi! I like to go fast! :D BEEP BEEP!" It is cute and classy. Love it.


'56 Porsche

In '56, the Porsche underwent some noticeable maturing. It's not drastically different from the '53, but you can still notice a definite difference in its appearance. The '56 Porsche, like the '56 Jag, is another car that sets my heart aflutter every time I see it. SO classy. What an elegant, regal presence it has, too. It has those gorgeous, streamline curves that Porsche is now known for. Just simply perfect.


Porsche Spyder

What a bad little mamber jamber it is. The car that James Dean died in. That makes it seem even more epic and bad ass. It is just such a sexy car. I absolutely love the lines and the length of the body. It looks like it's moving even when it's standing still.


Gullwing Mercedes 300SL

With this car, it seriously had me at "gullwing doors". I mean, come on. How badass are those doors? It's kind of ridiculous. I LOVE gullwing doors. They would make any car look insanely cool. And you'd feel like you were getting into a jet every time you went to drive it! The doors are definitely the main feature of the car, NOT the the rest isn't equally awesome. But it does just look like a fairly simple, little racer until BAM! Whip open those gullwings, baby! I love this Mercedes because it's classy and elegant, but still has a very strong/futuristic appearance as well.


'59 Cadillac

I am not a huge Cadillac fan. It's a little bit TOO much car for me. I would feel like I was driving a military submarine down the highway if I was in one. But any car that has fins and taillights that look like rocket ships is alright with me.


Karmen Ghia

Ah my little Ghia. Karmen Ghia's really aren't anything super flashy or exciting, but they are so stinking cute! I just love them. They embody everything summer to me for some reason. Like I can see some surfer chick in her bikini and jean shorts cruisin down the beach with the top down in her little Ghia. I would like to be that surfer girl :)


'56 MGA

Such a sweet little roadster. Very similar lines to the '56 Corvette, but a little more simple. I would love the cruise the back rods of England in this little guy.


'57 Austin Healey

Austin Healey also had that same look as MG. I really love the two tone paint job on this car. It is such an English car. I just love that when I look at it, I think of England.

Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Quite possibly the cutest car ever invented in the universe. Any car with "Bugeye" in the name has a special place in my heart. Just look at it! It looks like this :D ! I wish ALL cars looked like that. It looks so enthralled to be driving wherever you're taking it. Too freaking adorable.


And last, but certainly not least, the '56 Nash Metropolitan. It was love at first sight for me with this car. I remember seeing it at a car museum and just gasping. I have never felt that a car epitomizes me as much as the Nash Metropolitan. It is so small and cute and retro and funky! It's just perfect. I can totally see myself in one, cruisin down the highway in my vintage cateye glasses. I have this picture of my wall so that every morning I see it and picture myself driving it. I know that one day I WILL be driving it for real! :D




1 comment:

  1. Awe, my dad is a car guy too! He took me to a car show every Thursday night when I was a kid. He has a 56 Chevy Bel Air! When he is done fixing up my 64 nova, I will take my Wednesday ladies for a spin ;)
    xoxo
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete