Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother of Mine

Happy Mothers' Day!!

For all you mothers out there, mad respect. Being a mother is the hardest, albeit the most rewarding, job you will ever do. And I have so much respect for moms.

But the mom I have the MOST respect for, obviously, if my own :)

Everyone thinks they have the greatest mom in the world, and in a way they do. I mean their mom will always seem like the greatest mom in the world to them. You only have one mom...in most cases. Ah, well you know what I'm trying to say.

My mom...I don't want to cliche and say she is the BEST mom in the world. But if there were mom olympics, she would definitely get the gold.

My mom is one of the reasons why I am so terrified of motherhood. I just do not feel that I will ever live up to her. I am a very selfish person. I am the first to admit that. I don't really plan on having kids until much later on because I have SO much stuff I want to do on my own when I'm just single and free, you know? Sometimes I'm scared I'll just never end up having kids because I'll just be so involved in my own life and never make time for it. I do want to have kids, I just really love being single and free, too. And when I DO have kids, I know that everything will change and they will become my life.

I think my mom was similar to me. I mean, I don't know if she was selfish, but she was definitely happy just being on her own and dating and what not. But when she had me, I feel like she just decided then that from that point on, she would do whatever it took to provide for me and give me everything that I needed.

And I must say, she did a damn good job of that. Not only did she manage to send me to one of the best private schools in the country (obviously not cheap in the least bit), she still fed me, clothed me, provided for me, loved me unconditionally and then some.

When I look back and think of how much she sacrificed for me, I feel so guilty. She was...is so selfless. I feel like she gives me everything and takes nothing for herself. And I never hear her complain. I'm not sure I will ever get to that point. I really hope that I do, though.

I love that my mom is hip and cool without being "hip" and "cool." She doesn't try to dress like a teenager and wear things WAY too skimpy for her body. She has wicked style and is a smokin' hottie in my opinion. I can't stand when moms dress themselves all young and try to act cool. My mom IS cool. She doesn't have to try.

My mom has shown me what the definition of a friend is. There are a lot of times when I don't like my mom, but I will ALWAYS love her. Because she always knows what's best for me. And even if I disagree with something she says or does, I know that she always has my best interest in mind. And that is what a true friend does. A true friend doesn't say "yes" all the time and agree with everything you say or do. They let you know when you're being foolish and do everything they can to get you back on track.

My mom has always done that with me without making me feel like she was controlling me or dominating my life. She always let me be my own person and make my own decisions and supported me always...in all the good ones, at least.

Basically, my mom is my hero. I hope that one day, I will be even half the mom that she has been to me.




I wanted to share this song because I think it is incredibly beautiful and touching and I think it captures the beauty of motherhood wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment