Monday, March 14, 2011

Excuse me while I kiss the sky


One of the SICKEST mosaics I have ever seen. This was done by Ed Chapman (one of the most famous UK mosaic artists) out of only guitar picks (suiting for the subject, doncha think?).

Ed usually uses ceramic tiles, glass, paper or even sugar cubes in his portraits and strives to achieve a unique sort of photo-realism in his mosaics, making the viewer's eye question whether they are really pictures. Mission accomplished, man.

If you've been following my posts, you'll notice that I'm kind of on a portrait/pop art spree right now. I think part of that is due to the fact that I am so obsessed with faces. The ability to draw faces blows my mind. And when someone like Ed Chapman takes it to the next level, spending hours painstakingly crafting hundreds of pieces for a photo-realist mosaic, I kind of explode inside.

Basically, this guy blows my mind. I've included some more of his portraits here. But if you want to see more, here is his website:

http://chapmanmosaics.weebly.com/








No comments:

Post a Comment