Friday, January 28, 2011

Givency Spring 2011 Couture

Riccardo Tisci is always surprising me every season with his collections for Givenchy. Honestly, I've never been a huge fan of how he represents Givenchy, but I have enjoyed some of his collections. But when Fall 2010 came, that all changed. Tisci's Fall 2010 collection for Givenchy is one of the most stunning, intricate and absolutely beautiful collections I have ever seen.

When I first saw his Spring 2011 collection, I almost thought I was looking at his fall 2010 collection again. This collection definitely has undeniable similarities to the Fall collection, but many differences. Tisci's new obsession is Japan, and it totally shows in this collection.

This collection is SO breathtaking. I mean, where do I even begin? Once again, Trisci's intricacies and acute attention to detail have left me in awe. I love how he has managed to make such structured, intricate dresses still seem so light and airy.

At first, I didn't like the neon appliques on all the dresses. I'm still not TOO crazy about the neon..I don't know. I just feel like it is SUCH a contrast to the delicate whites and creams of the rest of the dresses. But the detail and skill it took to make the appliques is worthy of hours of praise in itself. I seriously have no idea how they made them, but they look incredible.

I must admit that the hats (made by the famous Phillip Treacy) were a bit much for me...but when you understand that they were inspired by Japanese robots it makes sense. The hats and the colorful appliques both have a kind of spacey/samurai look to them.

All in all, this collection totally blew me away. All of these pieces are works of art--hand crafted by a true artist.













These two dresses with the green appliques are my favorites. The birds embroidered on it are so gorgeous and the whole dress just flows effortlessly.



Seriously, my mind is STILL blown every time I look at one of these dresses. It is absolutely insane.









Pretty amazing what you can do with fabric, isn't it? To anyone who says fashion isn't art, I say, f you, and look at this.

No comments:

Post a Comment